The School Newspaper of Holton High School

The Holtonian

Plunge for a purpose

Lauryn Moore

Get ready to run out into frigid waters and freeze for a great cause! The Special Olympics Polar Plunge is being held at Banner Creek Reservoir this Saturday, February 27.

The Polar Plunge is a unique opportunity for individuals, organizations and businesses to support Special Olympics athletes by jumping, walking, or slowly crawling into the frigid waters. This event is open to the public to participate in or to watch. Many opportunities to plunge are held all across the nation. In 2016, ten Kansas communities will host a Polar Plunge. This year Holton will hold a Plunge at Banner Creek Reservoir. Register online today at www.plungeks.org.

Plungers are required to raise a minimum of $75 and there are several possible ways to help them fundraise. Teams should have a minimum of two people but there is no maximum number of participants. Each team member must raise $75 individually. The Plunge fees must be raised by the day of the event and fundraising can continue up to 30 days after the event.

Every Polar Plunge location will have several awards. The highest fundraising individual, highest fundraising team, team with most plungers, best costume individual, best costume couple, and best costume team of three or more people are all awards that can be given at the plunge. So, people not only go out and plunge, but they can go all out and win awards in several different areas.

Students at Holton High School are going to be sponsored to plunge. They are trying to represent through high school clubs by getting students to plunge. Jackson County Youth Coalition, SADD, Notables and many more groups are sponsoring the students.

“This is one of the most successful and meaningful fundraisers for anyone to plunge for Special Olympics,” freshman Macy Pruitt said.

Come out today and plunge for Special Olympics!

“This is a great opportunity seldom offered in Holton. Not everyone has the ability to play sports or have the skills that some people do. Helping raise money for Special Olympics is a special treat,” Pruitt said.L