The School Newspaper of Holton High School

The Holtonian

Boswell describes love of hunting

Brady Boswell, 21st Century Journalism reporter

Opening day of deer season was September 25 for archery, and November 30 for firearms. Many of the students at HHS hunt on weekends and many look forward to it and prepare all year long.
As a hunter, I enjoy deer hunting for a variety of reasons.
It is a great sport that uses your patience. You can go out and sit in the tree stand for hours and hours for days and not even see anything. Sometimes it’s just about luck and sitting in the right spot at the right time. Patience has paid off for me countless times.
It is a sport that you can continue doing until the day you are not able to walk. Another thing that’s great about it is that it doesn’t matter what physical condition you are in or if you are athletic or not.
Hunting is a great way to get exercise. When I go hunting, I usually end up walking a couple of miles when I am going to and from the tree stand. Hunting in general is a great bonding experience that you can have with your friends or family.
One time I will never forget was when I was hunting with Clay Baumgartner and we were throwing out decoys. His phone got wrapped in one of the cords on the decoys. When he threw the decoy, he threw his phone too. He jumped to try to catch it and fell into the water. His waders filled with water and he came up gasping for air.
Overall, hunting is a great way to have fun and make memories with friends.