The Holtonian

Kneeling for anthem is wrong

Chloe Amon

National League football players have been kneeling during the Pledge of Allegiance. Many of them won’t stand during the pledge to the flag because they don’t believe in showing pride for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. I think that it is very disrespectful to kneel during the Pledge of Allegiance. Even though people have the right to have an opinion, people have died fighting for our country and should be honored.

The first of the protesting started with Colin Kaepernick sitting on the benches during a preseason game 13 months ago. Later, Kaepernick began to take a knee, and several other players began to join his protest. This became an even bigger issue when President Trump addressed it during a campaign rally in Alabama. He said that he wished the NFL players doing this would be fired for kneeling during the national anthem. Some basketball players who have recently joined NFL players in kneeling are Lebron James, Kobe Bryant and many others.

Some might argue that these professional athletes’ refusing to stand for the national anthem causes a stir of conversation and draws attention to the problem. On the other hand, refusing to stand for the national anthem angers many fans and shows disrespect to the members of the armed forces. I believe that the NFL and NBA players who kneel during the national anthem should be suspended from playing until they can show respect for our country.