The School Newspaper of Holton High School

The Holtonian

Rethink fast food choice

Savanna Booth, Journalism 1 Reporter

Did you know, that about one in three kids in the U.S. eat burgers, fries, and sodas, the staples of the American fast food fix, every day? Isn’t that crazy? According to the Centers for Disease Control and National Center for Health Statistics, about 34 percent of all children and adolescents, age 2 to 19, consume fast food on any given day.   Fast food is, no doubt, part of the American culture but there are many healthier choices rather than fast food.

Fast food is highly processed and contains large amounts of sugar, sodium, unhealthy fats, and carbohydrates. The majority of fast foods is very high in calories and offers little to no nutritional value. Most restaurants offer at least one healthy side option and three-quarters have increased healthy beverage option with every kid’s meal. Even with the addition of some healthy kids’ meal options, less than 1 percent of all kids’ meal combinations – 33 out of 5,427 possible meals – met the recommended nutrition standards. There should be a law or requirement that makes restaurants have to meet the nutrition standard.

Many teens complain about acne breakouts every day. Hormones are often blamed for this, but fast food is also a cause of breakouts. Because fast food is high in carbohydrates, it increases blood sugar levels, which may trigger acne. Unneeded junk in your body can cause a higher risk of inflamed and irritated patches of skin. Staying away from fast food can possibly help breakout problems.

Often, people eat fast food when it’s late and a quick stop at a drive-thru will save a lot of time. However, teens can gather multiple fast food alternatives in minutes. Not only can they put together a healthier meal with fewer calories and less fat and sodium, but they can save money as well. An average American spends $1,200 on fast food each year. This is equivalent to $100 a month and about $12.50 spent per meal. Just think about the amount of money that can be saved by avoiding fast food. Some ways to avoid fast food are packing healthy food for your meals instead of going out to eat.