The School Newspaper of Holton High School

The Holtonian

Mold can be health issue

Isabell Watkins, Journalism 1 Reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Holton High School has some possible health issues due to the age of the school. The most important health issue is mold. Mold can cause problems because it is a health risk to all of the students.

There are several causes of mold such as roof and plumbing leaks, condensation, excess humidity, and delayed maintenance or insufficient maintenance. There are also many ways mold can affect students and staff members. Mold can cause shortness of breath, wheezing, runny noses, itchy noses, nasal congestion, sore throats, coughing and sneezing.

How do you get rid of mold? There are many ways to get rid of mold, for example, in locker rooms, disinfect the walls and floor about four times a month. Every once in a while, custodians could also check all the windows for leaks or empty spaces and fill them in. Do a maintenance check in the school several times a year to help student and staff members’ health.

“To help maintain safe levels we have a company that comes in and does regular filter replacements; we also use dehumidifiers in the heavy, humid season,” Principal Rod Wittmer said.

Although mold is an issue, we are using our resources to limit the problem as much as we can. However because of the size of our school, the regular checks for mold in the school should be more thorough and specific.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




The School Newspaper of Holton High School
Mold can be health issue