The Holtonian

Why Have Breakfast?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why Have Breakfast?

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Gracie Frakes, Online Editor

“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you feed yourself what your body needs when it needs it, that’s love. So give your body some TLC and sit down and enjoy a good, substantial breakfast,” Kathy Freston, a New York Times bestselling author on nutrition, said.

In the morning on a school day, students rush around to get ready. Sometimes a few even leave the house without any food in their stomachs. Many people don’t think that eating breakfast is that important. They think, “Why would I want to eat right when I wake up, when I’m not hungry. Why should I eat now, when I get hungry later in the day?”

There are a lot of elderly people that have been living as long as they have been because they eat breakfast every day right when they wake up. Research shows that people are supposed to eat within the first 20 minutes when they wake up.

Not eating breakfast affects boys and girls equally.

Sophomore A.J. Haussler is a very active athlete. AJ participates in football, basketball, and golf.

“I eat breakfast every morning. I have seen a difference [in my energy level] from eating and not eating. When I eat breakfast, I have more energy.  Also for sports, if I don’t eat, I get tired faster than I do if I would have eaten,” Haussler said.

Eating in the morning gives students enough energy to go through the day. When they are playing a sport, breakfast is really important. Not eating breakfast can sabotage a person’s sports performance.

Sophomore Emma Reith is an active athlete.  She currently plays volleyball, basketball, track, and played softball.

“I eat breakfast every morning.  When I eat, I am not as hungry during the day and have more energy. When I don’t eat, I get really tired,” Reith said.

When eating breakfast, a person should eat something that is healthy. For example, eating popcorn for breakfast isn’t as good for the body as eating cereal.

In the morning, it is important to always make time for breakfast, even if it must be taken to go. It is the most important meal of the day.