The Holtonian

Are guns a good thing?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are guns a good thing?

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Gracie Frakes, Online Editor

Through this year, many people have been arguing if we should have the right to be able to carry around a gun or not.

The Second Amendment states, “ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

The federal 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, the case Moore v. Madigan, ruled 2-1 that the Second Amendment’s right to bear arms “must be interpreted to include a right to have concealed gun in public, to have it ready for use, and to have it for self-defense”, was stated on December 11, 2012.

With all the shootings that have been going on all around the world, there is a good reason for people to think that we should carry guns.

Research shows that in 2000 murder reduced by 8.5%, rapes reduced by 5%, aggravated assaults reduced by 7%, and robbery has reduced by 3%. As it shows, PhD. John R. Lott Jr., calculated that 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes, 60,000 aggravated assaults, and 12,000 robbers could have been prevented between the years 1977 and 1992.

Antonin Scalia, US Supreme Court Justice wrote, “like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited… the majority of the 19th– century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues.” In May 2014, the Supreme Court declined to hear a case challenging New Jersey’s issuance of concealed weapons permits only to citizens who can prove a “justifiable need”. In my opinion, to get a concealed gun, you have to through basically a class. If you are able to go through a class to be able to have a concealed weapon. Not just if you can prove a “justifiable need”.

Many people and I argue that concealed weapons should be allowed in public places if you are authorized to carry one, also because if something bad happens.