The Holtonian

National Make a Difference Day

Savanna Booth

During the last week of October, minds are normally thinking about pumpkins, candy corn, spooky stories, and Halloween. A nation holiday that is greatly over looked is Make a Difference Day. Make a Difference day is every year on the fourth Saturday of October.

This holiday was established in 1992 by USA WEEKEND magazine and joined by Points of Light.  Together they have sponsored the largest national day of community service for more than twenty years. This day is devoted to helping others by volunteering and doing community service.

Anyone can contribute to this day by doing almost anything. For example, you can pick up trash you see lying on the ground, help out a neighbor, cleanup your community, or do any other type of volunteer work. Did you know that each year on Make a Difference Day, ex-President Jimmie Carter dedicates his time to helping build or rebuild houses in underprivileged areas. This is just one of many good examples.

How you chose to participate and help out your community doesn’t matter, what matter’s is that you try. If you make a commitment to help others, you will most likely feel better self worth. “Don’t just aspire to make a living. Aspire to make a difference.” –Denzel Washington.