The School Newspaper of Holton High School

The Holtonian

New Year, New Changes

Claire Mosier, Editor

The New Year brings many changes to students at Holton High as many use the New Year as a fresh start. This year, it also brought some changes to Holton High School. For one, the auditorium is getting some much-needed updates, including new chairs on the main level, and new paint on the walls.

Another huge change is that the usual ‘Queen of Courts’ was now ‘Queen of the Mats.’ This year for the Winter Formal, the ceremony was put on during the Rossville vs. Holton dual. The candidates road in on a golf cart around the track above the gym. After they made their way around to the other side, they walked down the stairs and on to the red carpet. They then took their place and waited the long awaited announcing of King and Queen. After much anticipation, Brandon Lehnherr and Natalie Wareham were named the 2017 King and Queen of the Mats.

“I wasn’t very fond of the changes for the Winter Royalty Ceremony this year, but overall it was a great experience and I’m grateful for the experience,” said Queen Natalie Wareham. “The golf carts were very fun to ride around in, it allowed us to get closer to the audience and see all the little kids’ faces light up when we rode by.”

Overall the Ceremony was a success with many smiles and no tears. The tradition of it being at basketball is changed, and now it will switch between basketball and wrestling every other year.