Swisher assists in shop

Senior Satin Swisher gets active in CBE by working at Lee’s Flowers Shop part-time. Swisher helps keep the shop neat by sweeping, dusting, filling water buckets, and emptying the trash. Along with tidying the place, she wraps flowers and assist with deliveries. Swisher has been with Lee’s for two years and intends to keep helping Sandy and Candy.

Sydney McRae

Janae Skaggs, Assistant Feature Editors

High school is full of firsts, your first car, your first break up, and of course your first job. Satin Swisher, a senior at Holton High School, has worked at Lee’s Flower & Gift Shop for two years now.

“She helps clean the shop by sweeping, dusting, filling water buckets, emptying trash and she also helps with flower sales. She wraps the flowers for the customers and helps with deliveries,” Satin’s mother and teacher, Dena Swisher said.

Students with an IEP receive the opportunity to have a high school through a class called Com- munity Based Education (CBE), so that they can get the feel of the real world, and better their job skills. Satin is one of six students participating in this at HHS.

Satin works at Lee’s every day from 1-3 p.m. and throughout the summer with the support of para Annette Searles. The owner says Satin is very useful around the shop and enjoys the extra interaction she receives from those in the com- munity.

“There are several regular customers that come in on Friday’s for Friday Flowers just to see Satin. She knows them as well as several that they make regular deliveries to,” Swisher said.

Swisher hopes that Satin will be able to continue working at Lee’s after graduation.

Swisher stated, “We have had students in the past whose CBE jobs have turned into full time jobs after graduation. We are hoping to make that happen since Satin enjoys working there so much and it has helped her with her communication skills. Candy McManigal and Sandy Bottom have been wonderful to Satin and helped her learn the responsibilities of a job.”