The School Newspaper of Holton High School

The Holtonian

National Read A Book Day

Brooklyn Klahr, Online Editor

Happy National Read A Book Day! In honor of this holiday, the Holtonian staff asked Head Librarian at Holton, Annie Brock, to submit her book recommendation for this month.

“Ready Player One by Ernest Cline was published in 2011, but if you haven’t already read it, now is the perfect time, because there’s a movie coming out in early 2018 based on the book. Also, the movie is directed by Steven Spielberg, so it’s sure to be awesome! (The trailer is online now, if you want to check it out.)

The book is set in the year 2044, and environment disasters, overpopulation, and economic downturn have made life all but unbearable. Teen protagonist Wade Watts spends most of his days in the OASIS, an immersive virtual reality where most people spend their time. When he’s not at school in the OASIS, he’s gaming there. Suddenly, Wade finds himself a frontrunner in a worldwide contest whose winner will ultimately inherit the power and massive fortune of the inventor of the OASIS. But there are people — and dark organizations — who want to win so badly, they’re willing to kill for it. If you’re interested in gaming, geek culture, or fast-paced “unputdownable” books, this one is for you! Plus, when you go see the movie with your friends, you can say know-it-all stuff like, “The book was way better.” Great fun!”