The School Newspaper of Holton High School

The Holtonian

Alvarez lands TCC internship

Karen Ford, adviser

Senior Berenice Alvarez never has studied To Kill a Mockingbird during her course work at HHS, but thanks to a graphic design internship with Topeka Civic Theater, she will be part of the audience viewing a production of that novel.

Alvarez was invited to lunch and to attend Topeka Civic Theater’s performance of To Kill A Mockingbird in recognition of her work on the Topeka Civic Theater 2017-18 brochure. As part of her internship, she designed several logos for the publication and worked with photographer Nathan Ham on a photo shoot.

Alvarez obtained this internship through the Graphic Design program at Washburn Institute of Technology.

“I love art and loved taking the art class here at HHS,” Alvarez said. “Marrying art with computer design was perfect for me. I fell in love with the graphic design program at Washburn Institute of Technology.”

In addition to helping to create the TCC brochure, Alvarez also helped design a brochure for the theater camp for children at Helen Hocker Theater and a billboard that will advertise the summer camp. Alvarez said it features primary colors and a cartoon logo designed to get kids interested in the camp and to take action by enrolling.

To obtain the internship, Alvarez had to go through an interview process including showing her portfolio and composing a resume. She was ultimately selected for the internship, where she worked with her mentor, TCC marketing director and creator of 785 Magazine, Kerrice Mapes. The selection was based on the attendance, work ethic, and creativity that she demonstrated while in the graphic design program at WIT.

Certified sign language interpreter Nancy Hedges said, “I liked watching Berenice go through the creative process from start to finish.”

After graduating in May from HHS, Alvarez plans to attend Washburn University to obtain an associates degree in Graphic Design and then is not sure whether she will continue for a four-year degree or enter the workforce

Topeka photographer Nathan Ham and senior Berenice Alvarez clown around during a photo shoot in late April. As part of her internship at TCC, Alvarez worked with Ham on photos for the 2017-18 brochure she helped design.

.